Oh you’re in for it now! I present you with a recipe that will both shock and awe your tastebuds. Choose to play with the cayenne pepper, and you will make yourself cry with this recipe of cajun red beans and rice (trust me because we’ve done it–so deliciously painful).
Bringing the heat this Tuesday morning!
|Adapted from Cook’s Illustrated|
- 1 16oz. can red beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 slices of bacon, chopped and cooked
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1-2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 t fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 t sweet paprika
- 1/4 t cayenne pepper
- 1/2 t black pepper
- 3 c chicken broth (check this recipe)
- 1/2 c water (and as needed)
- 8 oz. andouille sausage, halved lengthwise and cut 1/4 in thick slices (we really like Wellshire or Jacobs)
- 1 t red wine vinegar
- Salt to taste
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 4-6 servings of jasmine rice, cooked
Let’s cut straight to the bacon. How you cook it is very important to how the red beans and rice come out. Please, if you can, cook the bacon on the stove–if you’d prefer, cook in the oven and reserve the bacon grease for your pan. Microwaves need not apply.
|Evidently we were out of scallions.|
This recipe is literally one of our hands down favorites to make during the week. Even though it’s long, the recipe’s fairly easy to cook up, and just typing up the recipe gives me a hankering for some. How convenient, I also happen to be writing my grocery list for the week! Done.