Soul-Warming White Bean & Kale Soup
(Adapted from Whole Foods Market)
- 4-6 cups chicken stock (try this recipe)
- 1 (12 ounce) package spinach and feta chicken sausage, sliced
- 2-3 16 oz cans of cannellini, navy or great northern beans, divided
- 4-5 mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch organic kale, stems and tough ribs removed, leaves roughly chopped
- 1/2 T chili flakes
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
While your onions are cooking, clean your beans and place them in a bowl. Collect about 1/3 of your beans into a blender with a few more tablespoons of broth and blend until smooth. This trick will make your soup broth milkier in consistency and add additional lovely flavor notes.
Once your onions are cooked, add in the rest of the broth and bring to a boil, making sure to scrape at the pan to remove any burned on bits. Add in the kale, bring down to a simmer and cover–cook for about 5 minutes or until the kale is wilted to your liking. Once there, toss in whats left of your bean bowl and the mushrooms and stir. Test for flavor and heat until the beans are cooked through–perhaps 5 minutes more. Serve hot! (Serves 4).