10 Random Facts

I always love learning odd little tidbits about other people. It’s even funnier when it’s opposite what you assumed about someone–I wanted to see if I could start something…

Post 10 Random Facts About Yourself

One of my main reasons for reading other blogs is the human connection many make when writing–it would be boring and like reading an instruction manual if the personality of the writer didn’t come through. The pictures are always nice too, but there are blogs I’ve been reading for 5+ years solely because I’ve taken an investment in the narration of that person’s life/career/blog.

10 Food-Centric Randomosities About The Spicy Bee

1. I hate blue cheese — It tastes like feet. It triggers my gag reflux (and I do not have a sensitive palate or stomach). It’s extremely puzzling to my husband, who, of course, loves it.
    Cheese
  2. I tend NOT to follow recipes — I might start from a recipe or two, but I usually stray based on my intuition. Sometimes (mostly really) everything turns out beautifully! Every great while, I ruin something.
  3. I believe you can ruin something with too much hot sauce — Seems counter-intuitive with my site, no? I like a lot of spice–but sometimes, I don’t want to be miserable, and it’s very easy to make yourself miserable if you’re too liberal with the habanero hot sauce.
  4. Of all the things I cook, my favorite food is still pizza — Of course that’s closely followed by sushi, udon, truffle fries, guacamole, and tacos. I have a theory it’s still my favorites because I eat it so rarely. To answer the next question–the sauce is key. Favorite toppings include onions, pepperoni, and black olives.
  5. The weirdest thing I’ve eaten to date — raw urchin (uni).
    IMG_1775
  6. I’m an impatient drinker — By this I mean, I get bored pretty easily with what’s in my glass. For this reason, it’s a big deal if I ask for seconds of anything, be it alcohol or otherwise.
  7. I make all my cat’s food myself — Most people pick up Fancy Feast or a dry food of choice for their felines, but since we adopted our little kitty (Bonsai), I’ve always fed her a raw chicken diet (with the proper supplements of course!). She’s turning 5 this year and is a crazy strong cat. The only drawback is because she knows her food is made in the kitchen like human food, she’s hard to keep out.
    bonsai
  8. I only just bit the bullet and bought a KitchenAid — This was a long time coming. We had money gifted from our grandmothers to purchase our mixer, but with the moves and lack of kitchen space leading up to now, we felt it best to hold off. I’m so glad that we did! We ended up with one that likely wouldn’t have fit under cabinets at our old place. I try to use it at least once a week, even if it is just to make muffins or whip potatoes.
  9. 100% of the time when I travel, I know where I’m going to eat LONG before I know where I’m going to sleep — if it weren’t for friends and family, I would likely sleep in a booth at a Steak ‘n Shake or some other 24 hr establishment. Sometimes we cut it really close and have to stay further out than we’d like because we’ve been spending too much time researching restaurants, fun food-centric stores, and dives (below amazing fish tacos from Parrilla in Bend, OR).
    Parrilla
  10. Putting a refrigerator only (no built in freezer) in the kitchen and a deep freeze in the basement is the best kitchen decision I’ve ever made — the extra fridge space is glorious.

What’s something food-centric others don’t expect or know about you?

You Might Also Like

34 Comments

• Reply Melinda January 16, 2015 at 8:12 am

I would LOVE to have a “just refrigerator” in our kitchen! We have a freezer in the garage, so we don’t actually need on in the kitchen. But, I could not convince my husband….
    Melinda recently posted…Book Review: “Me Before You” by Jojo MoyesMy Profile

• Reply Bee January 21, 2015 at 8:04 pm

Perhaps after your current fridge bites the dust Melinda! It can end up being cheaper than an equal quality combo fridge.
      Bee recently posted…10 Random FactsMy Profile

• Reply Aubrie January 16, 2015 at 8:32 am

Loved this. You know, I keep trying to get into blue cheese. It doesn’t make me gag but I swear the more I try it the less I like it. And I ALWAYS follow recipes lol. I am trying to add my own twist though (or realize that’s too much salt, too much liquid, etc.) Cute post. 🙂
    Aubrie recently posted…{Food} Christmas CookiesMy Profile

• Reply Bee January 21, 2015 at 8:05 pm

You get all my blue cheese at the next event then 😉
      Bee recently posted…10 Random FactsMy Profile

• Reply Susan@LunaCafe January 16, 2015 at 8:34 am

I have always LOVED to cook. By second grade I BEGGED to be allowed to come home after school to the empty house and make dinner for the family. Mom and Dad arrived home from work promptly at 6 and dinner was on the table. It seems amazing to me now that I could have done that at 7 years old. I was the weekday dinner cook and the weekend dessert cook until I left for college many years later. The hardest thing about being in a sorority at the University of Washington was not being able to cook. 🙂

• Reply Bee January 21, 2015 at 8:06 pm

I love this little tidbit Susan!! You should write an entire post–I foresee your 10 items being very sweet and interesting!

• Reply Kristina January 16, 2015 at 8:43 am

what a fun post! I also would LOVE a refrigerator only in the kitchen – aside from my ice cream maker bowl, which is in constant use, the freezer gets far less play than my fridge. in last year’s kitchen renovation, we added a beer / wine fridge, so that freed up a lot of space… ah, clearly I could go on and on.

• Reply Bee January 21, 2015 at 8:07 pm

Our top shelf is always full of beer. I always tell hubby that one day we will pull a beer down and the whole shelf will come along (they are mostly bombers). Wine fridge sounds divinnnnne!
      Bee recently posted…10 Random FactsMy Profile

• Reply Bill Volckening January 16, 2015 at 8:51 am

I had to stop after #1 because I wanted to know how you knew what feet tasted like, but then I realized it wasn’t a very polite question, so I’m back to reading 😉

• Reply Bee January 21, 2015 at 8:08 pm

Ha!! It’s more like that smell you can almost taste (with smelly feet), and blue cheese always lingers…

• Reply Rebekah January 16, 2015 at 8:57 am

This is a funny post, I love it! I also love pizza more than any other food. I could eat it every single day. When I am traveling on my own for work, I plan my meals around trying pizza spots.
    Rebekah recently posted…Roasted Carrots with Dill and Greek YogurtMy Profile

• Reply Bee January 21, 2015 at 8:08 pm

Now I must know what your favorite Portland Pizza establishment is!

• Reply Brooke @ Chocolate & Marrow January 16, 2015 at 8:58 am

Cute idea! We have so much in common (never follow recipes; I make my dog’s treats; I JUST got a KitchenAid and love, love, love it!). But, onto the challenge, something that others don’t know about me: When I’m eating something that’s supposed to be spicy, I want it to be realllllly spicy (e.g., boiled crawfish or the boar collar at Pok Pok)! If I’m not sweating while I’m eating and using napkins to blow my nose at the table (ew, gross, I know), then it’s not spicy enough! 😉

• Reply Bee January 21, 2015 at 8:09 pm

Not gross! You would be in such good company–so long as we keep our napkins to ourselves lol
      Bee recently posted…10 Random FactsMy Profile

• Reply Pech January 16, 2015 at 9:09 am

It took me a long time to get into blue cheese – I had to start off with more smoked blue cheese that had less the blue funky taste and more smoke taste. I can even get F to eat it as long as I cut off/hide the blue part 😛

I totally agree with the hot sauce too – I want to still be able to taste the individual components and flavor, not just heat!

Wow I had no idea you made your own cats’ food!
    Pech recently posted…Zeus Cafe and the McMenamins PassportMy Profile

• Reply Bee January 21, 2015 at 8:10 pm

I will have to try to go the smoked route and see if that helps me get into it more–it’s sad as besides that there isn’t a cheese I’ve met that I haven’t liked.

• Reply Rachel January 16, 2015 at 9:47 am

These are great! Here is one for me: When I was little I wanted a dog SO badly, and my parents wouldn’t let me. So I checked out the dog encyclopedia from my school library for about a year straight, and memorized it 🙂 I can name almost any breed of dog just by seeing it. haha

• Reply Bee January 21, 2015 at 8:10 pm

What a secret talent! Is there a favorite breed you’ve grown attached to through learning about it??

• Reply Bea January 16, 2015 at 10:18 am

I love love love your post and the great idea to get this started. I am totally into it now I just need to put my thinking hat on 🙂

It is great to get to know you and blue cheese? I love it but my DH cannot stand it 🙂
    Bea recently posted…Timberline Lodge – Mini-break on Mt. Hood {#travel with #kids #oregon #pdx}My Profile

• Reply Bee January 21, 2015 at 8:11 pm

Thank you!

• Reply Marlynn @UrbanBlissLife January 16, 2015 at 10:47 am

Your cat in that photo!! So cute. I loved this, Bee. I’m not a huge fan of blue cheese either. To answer your question, I think most people are surprised when they learn I don’t really like spicy food. They think that because I’m Asian (Filipino – we’re more sweet than spicy) and from Portland, surely I must like a lot of crazy heat in my meals. Nope. I like a little spice, but I like to TASTE my food more! 😉
    Marlynn @UrbanBlissLife recently posted…Honey Bourbon TrufflesMy Profile

• Reply Bee January 21, 2015 at 8:12 pm

All things in moderation I suppose! We have a lot in common Marlynn!

• Reply Create/Enjoy January 16, 2015 at 2:47 pm

Lovely photos and list!
    I admire you for making homemade cat food. I feel a little guilty always using store-bought when I know my cat is meant to eat primarily raw protein with all the minerals from bones and cartilage!

I don’t follow recipes much, either–drives Jason crazy! He wants exactly the same dish again if he likes something a lot!
    Create/Enjoy recently posted…An overview and a happy story–big changes!My Profile

• Reply Bee January 21, 2015 at 8:17 pm

Thanks! Ktams is just like Jason–so I usually just don’t say anything–hardly ever notices/remembers if it’s a touch different 😉

• Reply Lindsay January 16, 2015 at 9:54 pm

I have to agree I never follow recipes and I also always know where we are going to eat long before I go some place…and tons of places I want to eat in cities I may never visit.
    Lindsay recently posted…5 Tips to Reach Your Fitness Goals in 2015My Profile

• Reply Bee January 21, 2015 at 8:17 pm

Yelp is great for tracking that sort of thing 🙂

• Reply Meredith {MarthaChartreuse} January 17, 2015 at 3:11 pm

I love my KitchenAid! Granted, the chocolate chip cookie consumption has gone up big time.

I am extremely picky about leftovers. There is no rhyme or reason to what I will reheat or throw out.
    Meredith {MarthaChartreuse} recently posted…Fashion {Hello Yellow!}My Profile

• Reply Bee January 21, 2015 at 8:25 pm

I think chocolate chip cookies is an excellent idea….brb.

• Reply Renée January 17, 2015 at 9:42 pm

This is such a fun post – I loved learning all these things about you! I’m so impressed that you make your own cat food. Here’s one about me: I really, really, really want to like asparagus. Everyone I know just swoons when the fresh asparagus hits the farmer’s markets. So I keep trying, but it always smells like pee and old sock soup to me, which is a bit off-putting. I’ve worked up to being able to eat it “in” things, but I still can’t eat a whole piece of asparagus by itself.
    Renée recently posted…Sweet Potato Carrot HashMy Profile

• Reply Bee January 21, 2015 at 8:27 pm

I actually don’t know many who love asparagus–more put up with it lol–glad you liked the post!
      Bee recently posted…10 Random FactsMy Profile

• Reply Holly January 18, 2015 at 2:53 pm

I’m right there with ya on #9, we always plan out every restaurant and figure out where we’re going to stay later 🙂
    Holly recently posted…Fancy Date Night at HomeMy Profile

• Reply Bee January 21, 2015 at 8:27 pm

Glad I’m not alone!

• Reply Tracy January 18, 2015 at 2:58 pm

Love the idea about having a refrigerator only in the kitchen. I could definitely go for that. I tend not to follow recipes exactly either. Measuring takes too much time! 🙂
    Tracy recently posted…Where is the Lead Coming From?My Profile

• Reply Bee January 21, 2015 at 8:30 pm

Agreed! Thanks for reading!